Great Lakes Cheese
About Us

Our History

Great Lakes Cheese was founded in 1958 by Swiss immigrant, Han Epprecht, when he began his neighborhood cheese-delivering business. Great Lakes Cheese has expanded to a nine plant operation, spanning five states, and supplying cheese coast to coast. Today, Great Lakes Cheese remains privately owned by the Epprecht Family and over 2,600 dedicated employees.

A history of quality and excellence

Hans Epprecht starts the business selling bulk cheese.

1958

The first Great Lakes Cheese plant is built in Newbury, OH.

1963

The Great Lakes Cheese profit plan is started.

1971

Great Lakes Cheese Transportation is formed.

1981

Purchase of the Plymouth, WI plant.

1982

Great Lakes Cheese purchases the Adams, NY facility.

1984

A new Plymouth, WI facility is built to replace the existing plant.

1990

Purchase of the Cuba, NY plant.

1993

Purchase of La Crosse, WI plant.

1995

The Hiram, OH facility is built to replace the Newbury plant.

1998

La Crosse, WI plant expansion.

2000

Fillmore, UT plant is built.

2001

Cuba, NY plant expansion.

Purchase of the Wausau, WI plant.

2003

Plymouth, WI plant expansion.

Fillmore, UT plant expansion.

2005

The Adams, NY facility is built to replace the existing plant.

2009

Hiram, OH plant expansion.

2010

Great Lakes Cheese purchases the Seymour, WI plant.

2012

Start of construction on the Manchester, TN super plant.

2013

La Crosse, WI plant expansion.

2014

Manchester, TN grand opening.

2015